Do Your Part to Prevent Wildfires
Submitted by the Building, Grounds & Safety Advisory Committee
Photo from a past July 3rd LHCC firework display (approved by of the Board of Directors)
One of the greatest threats we face as a mountain lake community is wildfire. As we prepare for the country’s annual Independence Day celebration – below are a few important reminders for Lake Holiday POA owners, tenants and any visitors.
Open Fires and Incendiary Devices are Not Allowed in Lake Holiday
Highlighted below are two important policies outlined in PRP-2, Common Area Use, SECTION A. COMMON AREA RULES (to sign up for an account and access Governing Documents under the Owners Section of the website, click here):
#3. No open fires are allowed. Use of cooking grills while in the marina area is also prohibited.
Note: Firepits are not allowed on any of the three beaches or wooded areas within the community. When found, firepits will be removed from common areas.
#9. Discharge of fireworks within the community is prohibited – with exception of planned commercial public displays with prior approval of the Board of Directors.
- Loud noises associated with fireworks make pets nervous and prompt them to run away.
- Dogs should never be left alone outside during a fireworks display.
- Pets feel secure in small, familiar spaces or in their crates.
- Pets that do not crate may be less anxious in a small, dimly lit room with music playing to drown out the noise.
Additional Information Regarding Fireworks:
- In Virginia, it is illegal to set off or possess firecrackers, skyrockets, torpedoes, and other fireworks that explode, travel laterally, rise into the air or fire projectiles into the air.
- If caught in possession of, selling or using illegal fireworks, it is a Class 1 misdemeanor, with up to 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine.
If you are found responsible for having started a wildfire with fireworks or an unscreened campfire or bonfire, you may be liable for all suppression and reclamation costs or even face imprisonment and fines.